ProfileVaried background with experience in management, social media and media relations in a wide variety of industries. Writer with 10-plus years of experience that takes initiative and thrives under deadline pressure. Strong interpersonal and follow-up skills. Experience in gaining and maintaining accounts and catering to their creative needs. Continuous development of career skill sets. Seeking to concentrate efforts on a select group of clients or employment with with an organization that can offer professional growth and advancement.
WritingFrom old-school newsprint to online media, I can craft a message to fit any space and need.
Media RelationsHaving worked on the other side of the press release, I know what works in earned media.
Social MediaThe social media environment is constantly evolving. I cling to no dogma; I embrace results.
- Familiar with Wordpress, Blogger and Joomla content management systems
- Copy editing, editing and Associated Press style
- Account development and management
- Creative thinking, strategizing and implementation
- Time and project management; Multitasking
- Working solo; working with/coordinating delegation duties to/managing small and large teams
- Coordinating tasks/operations with other departments and outside agencies
- Compiling after-action reviews for superiors
- Managing subordinates and following up with after-action discussions for skill and career development
ExperienceProprietor, plan 9 media group; Los Angeles, CA — 2003-present
Serviced the media relations needs of clients in niche video entertainment, legal, internet and literary industries. Responsible for developing media campaigns with traditional and online outlets, cultivating relationships with high value news/blogging/social media personalities, pivoting strategies an`d tactics, analyzing and ensuring clients were aware of potential opportunities and challenges to their media profile, ghostwrote blogs (with search engine optimization, if requested). Also actively and aggressively pursued new accounts, maintained accounts once they were clients and catered to and anticipated their wants and needs and performed subcontracted press release writing, image creation and copywriting for larger public relations and marketing firms.Editor, Teddy Communications; Los Angeles, CA — 2001-2003
Reviewed movies and covered the entertainment industry in the San Fernando Valley for one of its premier trade publications. Responsible for the DVD section of the magazine, managed freelancers to ensure reviews were done in a timely manner in accordance with the accepted style of the publication, wrote feature and spot news stories for the publication's website and magazine, developing sources in the entertainment industry and the companies that service it.Freelance Writer, Various Publications; Honolulu, HI — 1999-2000
Wrote and gathered information for business, entertainment and spot news articles for The Honolulu-Star Bulletin, Pacific Business News and The Washington Post. Stories included pieces focusing on retailing in Hawaii, concert reviews and a work-related mass murder as it developed.Education
- University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu, Hawaii — B.A., Journalism (1998)
- Defense Information School, Fort Benjamin Harrison, Indiana — Public Affairs Broadcast Journalist, US Army MOS designator 46R (1995)